1. Go to each of the major search engines and submit your URL. Most of these sites have a link called "Submit your site" (or something similar). Click on the link and follow the directions. For the most part, the links are not placed conspicuously. You will probably have to look for them. Some popular search engines include:
* Alta Vista
2. To make your site easier for the search engines to crawl and classify, consider adding some META tags to your index page before submitting it to the search engines. You can add both general and specific keywords that you think would interest people and a short description. Consider using key phrases as well as words.
META tags go between the closing title and closing head tags in your HTML code. META tags for a site about your clothing store in Somewhere, CA might look something like this:
META NAME = "keywords" CONTENT= "girls clothing,boys clothing,plus sizes,dresses,suits,T shirts,beach wear,Somewhere CA, bargain clothing"
META NAME = "description" CONTENT= "My Clothing Store for one-stop shopping for all your family clothing needs with the latest California fashions at great bargain prices and conveniently located near the beach on Main St. in Somewhere, CA. We ship anywhere is the USA!"
(Surround META tags with left-right arrows <>.)
The "keywords" tag gives the search engine a way to classify your page. The "description" gives the search engine something coherent to put in the blurb that visitors will see on the search page, rather than the first few words that appear on the page, which would appear there by default.
Another great resource is Google Webmaster Tools at http://www.google.com/webmastertools. To find the best keywords for your site, use Google's Keyword Tool athttps://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal. You will need to create a free Google account and login to use these resources. They also have excellent tutorials, site metrics, and more.
3. Blogging and Article Writing - Through blogging and article writing you can turn yourself into an expert and get links to your site. You can install a blogging script on your account here or find free blog services such as Blogger.com or Wordpress.com. There are also many free sites to post articles such as Squidoo.com or Ezine.com and other bloggers in the same field may allow you to post to their blogs as a guest writer with a link to your site at the end of your post.
4. You can comment on blog posts and forum posts with a link to your site in your signature. Don't SPAM! Your comments should not be fluff such as "Good post" and should be on-topic. They should add to the discussion and help others. You may have to post several replies before the signature facility in forums is enabled for you. This is a great chance to look like an expert or get more info on something in your chosen field or niche. You may make a valuable contact/friend as well.
5. Social Marketing - Join social sites such as Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and others to post on your subject, post company news and sales, interact with your customers or followers, etc. Be sure to post often and not let it stagnate. Add buttons for these services to your website.
6. Submit your best pages, articles, or blog posts that many different people would find interesting to sites like Digg.com, StumbleUpon.com, Reddit.com, and others.
7. Paid Advertising - You can pay for advertising such as Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, etc. You should check out SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and other forums for discussions on the pros and cons of using paid advertising before committing any funds to it. There are many pitfalls and tricks to using it.
Use any or all of the methods listed above, whatever works for you. Not every site will need to do all of these but it is a good place to start to see what works for your site. Give them plenty of time to start working. Tweak them as needed.
- 0 Users Found This Useful
We've got just what you need. Please start by checking out our quickstart guide...
Thank you for joining the JaguarPC community. We'll explain some basic procedures and steps...
A network is a group of computers that are connected and can communicate with one another."The...
It's exactly the same as uploading to a regular domain. The only difference is you should put the...
Your account has both non-web accessible space and of course your web accessible space. Your user...